For over four decades, Portadam has been utilized as an effective temporary cofferdam solution providing contractors a dry work condition while saving both time and money.
Traditional cofferdam and water diversion approaches are often specified to allow the work to take place in the dry, but these can be very cumbersome – from a cost, environmental and scheduling perspective. Subsurface conditions, site conditions, site access and logistics often pose significant challenges to identifying the optimal design of a comprehensive engineered solution.
Our engineered system has been used in over 5000 water-related projects both nationally and internationally. The Portadam system has no environmental impact due to its freestanding nature. Additionally, no ground penetration is typically required, thereby minimizing subsurface risk (environmental, cost and schedule) usually associated with sheet piling. An added benefit is that dewatering of excavated material is minimized.
- Flexible design allows custom layout
- Cost effective versus sheet piling
- Can be used in flowing waters
- Leaves subsurface undisturbed
- Schedule advantages
Applications for Temporary Cofferdams
Temporary cofferdams can serve various purposes. Examples include:
- Boat ramps: Temporary cofferdams provide a fast solution for dewatering an area when you're ready to repair or install a boat ramp. They create an effective water barrier to keep the location dry and safe.
- Bridges and dams: Portable cofferdam systems can reduce or eliminate many of the inherent dangers when performing bridge repair or maintenance work. They allow crews to pump out water from the job site.
- Pipeline crossings: Temporary cofferdams are invaluable when creating the dry environment required for the installation and repair of oil, utility and other pipelines.
- Canals: Use a temporary cofferdam construction to block the water in a canal and extend the retention pond's water fountain. Cofferdams keep workers dry and prevent flooding, protecting personnel and equipment.
- Sheet pile wraps: Cofferdams can serve as temporary walls to provide excavation support and soil retention for construction projects.
- Shoreline restoration/stabilization: Use cofferdams to serve as a barrier between the beachfront and water to prevent deterioration.
What Are the Advantages of Temporary Cofferdams?
Examples of the benefits of a temporary cofferdam construction include:
- A better alternative to sandbags: Cofferdams offer a more cost-effective option than traditional sandbags, as you can fill them with readily available materials. They're also more eco-friendly.
- Strength and reliability: Use cofferdams to create an impenetrable wall that can withstand rushing water. Gain more peace of mind by creating a safe environment for workers in submerged areas.
- Portability: Temporary cofferdams consist of individual sections that are ready to install. Their portability enables you to place them in the ideal locations.
- Excellent quality: The superior design and construction of Portadam products ensure they'll perform well in the most challenging conditions.
- Ideal for renting: Most companies only require cofferdams for temporary projects. A cofferdam rental from Portadam enables you to get the right product for specific jobs without making a long-term commitment.
Contact Portadam to Learn More
Does using temporary cofferdams make sense for your job site applications? Portadam offers affordable, convenient cofferdam rental solutions you can trust. We've been in business since 1974, and we've earned a stellar reputation for providing high-quality products and expert advice to meet your project objectives. We can even work with your site personnel to develop custom projects and protect your mission-critical assets.
Take the next step — contact us for additional information and to request a no-obligation quote today.